-PhD Student, Department of Computer Science, University of Georgia,
-Research Scientist Intern, Fujitsu Labs, Sunnyvale, CA.
-Spring 2018: Data Science Research Intern,
NEC Labs, Cupertino, CA.
-Summer 2013: Software Engineering Intern,
Citrix Systems Inc. Santa Barbara, CA.
-Fall 2012 - Spring 2015: Graduate Assistant,
Montana State University, Bozemen, MT.
Mehdi Assefi is a reserach assistant at the university of Georgia, Computer Science Department and Institute of Bioinformatics. His current research projects focus on applications of deep neural networks on medical data.
- Deep Learning for Healthcare,
- Analytical models from medical data (e.g. electronic
health records, scientific articles, and social media).
- Sentiment analysis on tweets and social networks,
- Network Analysis and Modeling,
Ongoing Research Projects:
-Lifetime prediction model. Designing and implementing deep learning model for lifetime prognosis using time-series data. This project is in collaboration with NEC Laboratories America Inc.
-Adverse drug events discovery. Design and implement advanced data analytics strategies and specially a Deep-Learning model to mine the content of health-related social media, scientiﬁc articles, and electronic health records to detect and identify ADEs.
- July 2018: I am serving as a reviewer for the AMIA 2019 Informatics Summit.
- Jun 2018: I am joining Fujitsu Laboratories America as a Research Scientist Intern.
- Apr 2018: Our paper "Big data deep neural network to analyze adverse vaccine reactions” is among AMIA 2018 Informatics Summit Chair's Favorite Papers.
- Mar 2018: I will be serving as a Program Committee Member at INAIT'19 conference which will be held in the University of Cambridge, United Kingdom from August 19-20, 2019.
- Jan 2018: I've started serving as a technical reviewer at IEEE ICCA'18 Conference.
- Dec 2017: I started my internship at NEC Laboratories America, Inc.
- Dec 2017: We have a Podium Abstract accepted at AMIA 2018 Informatics Summit.
- Nov 2017: I was selected to receive the Grimes Family Distinguished Graduate Fellowship in Natural Sciences for the 2017 - 2018 academic year!
- Nov 2017: I was selected to receive POOIA student Scholarship for the 2017 - 2018 academic year!
- Oct 2017: We have our bigNN and MLlib papers accepted at IEEE BigData'17 (%18.7 acceptance rate).
- Sep 2017: I've started serving as a technical reviewer at Journal of Computational Science, Elsevier.
- Sep 2017: I joined the program committee at KDD bigdas'17 workshop.
- Sep 2017: I've started serving as a committee member at AIPR'17 conference.
- Jul 2017: I am serving as a reviewer at Journal of Supercomputing.
- Mar 2017: We have a workshop proposal accepted at KDD, the world's largest community for data mining. Please visit bigdas@KDD2017.
- Sep 2017: I've started serving as a technical reviewer at EEETEM'17 conference.
- Aug 2016: I started my PhD in the Dept. of Computer Science, University of Georgia. I will be working with Professor Hamid Arabnia and Professor Juan Gutierrez as a member of the Biomathematics Research Group(BRG).
- Apr 2016: I received Honorable Mention from Montana State University CS Department in the academic year 2015-2016.
- Oct 2015: I received a Best Paper Finalist Award for a paper entitled "An Experimental Evaluation of Apple Siri and Google Speech Recognition". The award was conferred at the 24th International Conference on Software Engineering and Data Engineering (SEDE).
- Apr 2015: My paper entitled "Impact of Network Performance on Cloud Speech Recognition" is accepted in ICCCN'15 conference (%25 acceptance rate).
- May 2013: I joined Citrix Systems Inc. as communications engineer intern for Summer 2013.
- Sep 2012: I joined Dept. of Computer Science, Montana State University as a graduate research assistant. I will be working ath the Networks lab with Professor Mike Wittie.